Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Birthday Party

Reese's 2nd Birthday!Her birthday is only 3 days after Christmas (poor girl - I know poor planning on our part), so we try to make it special. This years theme: Little Mermaid. It actually was more Under the Sea themed because you can't find too much Little Mermaid stuff anywhere. Its all the Disney Princesses and not just The Little Mermaid -- yes, I know you can find it online but we didn't quite get anything ordered in time (and it can be quite expensive for a few party decorations)... oh well. So we tried to keep everything blue and green, threw in a few fish, and had an Ariel cake. Let me just tell you the cake was a nightmare! I bought just one of the Wilton shaped pans and thought I had all the right frosting tools -- well needless to say I didn't. I was decorating the cake last minute (I had to wait for Todd to bring the supplies from Rexburg that morning) and nothing was working our as planned. I scraped her face off a few times because it looked terrible! I bought some premade black icing to do the piping and I think it had sat on the shelf for years because it was so dry and impossible to work with. Ariel just ended up with a silly looking face since I didn't have a tip to do the fine details -- I was on the verge of tears numerous times! You know when you have an idea of how something is supposed to be in your head and it's just not working out like that -- very frustrating. I know Reese probably thought it was the best birthday ever, and I was stressing over stupid details - bbllllaaahh!
We had a nice little lunch while watching The Little Mermaid movie and then Reese got to open more presents! I swear it's been nothing but presents for this little girl -- with Christmas and all -- I'm sure she didn't know what to think.
Dylan was a big help. A new My Little Pony play set.
A new kitchen from Grandma and Grandpa -- which apparently was more fun to just beat on the box. Sorry I didn't take a picture of her opening every present -- for those of you that sent presents. Thanks Torben and Angela for the sweatshirt (I'm secretly jealous and want one in my size) and Tyler and Candi for the Elmo pillow (you can never go wrong with Elmo at our house)

Trying to take a picture of the Birthday girl with her cousins -- never give children balloons and expect cooperation!
This is the best one we got -- the only one that didn't have a balloon blocking someones face.

Blowing out the candle. I kind of missed the moment and didn't feel like re-lighting the candle just to get a picture. She kept trying to blow it out from a foot away, so I'm pretty sure it was Brooklynn's puff of air that put the flame out. I'm sure Reese will still get her wish it was her birthday after all.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I think your cake turned out great! A lot better than I could do. I agree with you about having kids around Christmas - we didn't plan very well for that either. I guess a ton of presents one time a year isn't such a bad thing!